Porcher House was Once Cocoa City Hall

by Weona Cleveland

Mrs. Porcher died in 1937; Mr. Porcher in 1939. The home then was occupied by Mr. L.S. Andrews, his wife Mytice Porcher Andrews and children Lewis, Edward and daughter Norris until 1947. The house was then leased and used as a restaurant called Chip Ahoy. The Porcher house in Cocoa Village was built in 1916 by Edward Postell Porcher and his wife, Byrnina Peck Porcher.

Mrs. Pocher designed the home. It is an example of 20 century Classic Revival architecture, interpreted in local coquina rock.

A feature of particular interest is the integration of playing card symbols into the coquina around the front entry, representing Mrs. Porcher’s love of the game of bridge. This feature also has been carried through on the stone work at the rear entrance.

Edward Porcher was a pioneer in the citrus industry. He established the Deerfield Citrus Groves on Merritt Island in the mid-1880’s. He was the first to wash, inspect and grade his produce, and is credited with inventing a fruit-stamping machine, as well as a dolly for lifting the packed boxes of fruit.

He was one of the founders of the city of Cocoa and the Florida Citrus Commission. Mrs. Porcher was the first postmaster of Merritt Island.

In 1952, the home was sold to the City of Cocoa and used for a time as the Cocoa City Hall. The house underwent other changes, but eventually, the city restored the home and was able to have it named to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, it is used for special events. Note, picture below, river can be seen through carport at left.

Facebookby feather
Facebookby feather
%d bloggers like this: